Boards of Directors
and Working with Committees
Articles and book excerpts on this subject
- Avoiding the Pitfalls in Recruiting Board Members from The Secrets of Successful Boards
- Board Chair Responsible?, from Nonprofit Issues
- The Board Isn't Just a Board -- It's a Group! by Katherine Tyler Scott, Trustee Leadership Development
- Board Service Burn-Out Quiz and Recovery Plan, by Carol Weisman (2011) -- humorous, but serious
- Board Service by Young People from Your Guide to Youth Board Involvement and the Law
- Boards of All-Volunteer Organizations from Blue Avocado
- Boards vs. Managers - A Balancing Act, from The NonProfit Times e-newsletter, May 2008
- Build a Better Board in 30 Days from Build a Better Board in 30 Days
- Can Nonprofit Boards Vote by Email? by By Gene Takagi and Emily Nicole Chan in Blue Avocado (2009)
- Corporate Perspective of Serving on a Non-Profit Board, from Volunteer Vancouver
- How to Develop a Philosophy of Service Delivery for Non-Profits, by Constamce Woloschuk (board's role), Suite 101.com
- Is Your Board Helping You or Hurting You? by Joanne Fritz
- Policy Governance© Defined, explanation of the John Carver approach to boards.
- Sneaky and Insightful Boardroom Questions by Carol Weisman (2010)
- A Volunteer Management Perspective on Boards of Directors, by Susan J. Ellis, The NonProfit Times (2008)
- Why the Board Should Consider Volunteer Issues from The Nonprofit Board's Role in Maximizing Volunteer Resources
- Working with Committees, University of Arkansas Extension Service
- Working with Committees, by Cassy Dierking Venters (University of Missouri Extension)
Free electronic books on this subject
All Hands On Board: the Board of Directors in All-Volunteer Organizations by Jan Masaoka, originally published by the National Center for Nonprofit Boards (19-pg. PDF)
Several free e-books on board topics from BoardSource, though some are members-only. Go to http://www.boardsource.org/Knowledge.asp?ID=2.
Web sites with information on this subject
Adler & Colvin
The "resources" area of this law firm's Web site offers a number of excellent articles on legal issues for nonprofit boards of directors.
Xpertise Inc. (AXI) Resources
Wide variety of articles on board and association management from this Canadian consulting firm.
Archive of past issues of this monthly e-newsletter for board members from CompassPoint Nonprofit Services.
A site "revolutionizing the way nonprofit boards and new leaders find each other." Nonprofits can post their board member vacancies and individuals interested in board service can browse what might suit their interests.
Major American source for information about nonprofit boards of directors. Especially see their "Essential Questions" about board membership, the rest of their Q&A topics, and their 107-page compilation (PDF), A Guide to the Literature on Governance: An Annotated Bibliography.
Nonprofit Board" (PowerPoint presentation)
Free, downloadable presentation in PowerPoint for teaching boardsmanship, from the Executive Leadership Institute of the National Assembly of Health & Human Service Organizations.
Ethics Q&A Archives – “Doing Good Right”
From CharityVillage NewsWeek (Canada), this archive of questions and answers to ethical questions by Jane Garthson focuses on sticky issues confronted by nonprofit boards.
Fieldstone Alliance - Free Resources
This consulting, publishing, training, and research organization is focused on strong nonprofit performance. In this area of the site are articles and tools on various subjects, including boards, management and finance.
Toolkit for Boards
Comprehensive site compiled by Carter McNamara, with many articles and links on specific board-related topics.
Good Governance Guide
Governance Matters has developed this multi-section guide to help funders and nonprofit organizations in improving board performance.
Part of Reach...Skilled Volunteers in the UK, this site helps both organizations and board members work more effectively.
Working with Committees area of University of Illinois Extension Web Site
This website contains fact sheets, role descriptions, worksheets, and additional resources to assist volunteers and 4-H members in developing effective committees within their club -- but applicable elsewhere.
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- Let’s Be Honest about Nonprofit Boards of Directors (or, Lessons to Be Learned from Penn State) - Aug '12
- Boards of Directors: Governing at a Distance? - Nov '07
For information on this topic specifically relating to the Australasian region please visit our friends at OzVPM:
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more