Fundraising and Special Events
Articles and excerpts on this subject
- The Before Budget vs. The After Math from Secrets of Successful Fundraising
- 50 Ways to Make Your Next Auction a Success from cMarket Learning Center
- Frictionless Fundraising: How the Internet Can Bring Fundraising Back into Balance by Michael Gilbert
- Fundraising from US Companies from Fundraising from America
- Getting to Yes from "Dear Association Leader"
- The Happiness of Giving: The Time-Ask Effect, by Wendy Liu and Jennifer Aaker (2008-51 pg PDF), Center for Responsible Business. Concludes that people asked to volunteer give more money than those who are not.
- How Charities Can Raise Money With Twitter and Other Social-Networking Tools. transcript of live discussion in Nov. 2008 held by The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Social-Media Workshop: How Nonprofit Groups Can Use Online Tools to Build Awareness and Raise Money, transcript of a live online discussion by The Chronicle of Philanthropy, February 2009.
- Top Ten Reasons for Becoming a Fund Raiser from Accent on Humor book set: The Wit and Wisdom of Philanthropy
- Using an Online Auction to Raise Program Funds, outlining the experience of the The Northern Arizona Regional Gerontology Institute with Mission Fish
- Volunteers and Donors - More Alike than Different by Susan J. Ellis from The NonProfit Times
- Volunteers as Donors from the Energize Blog
Free electronic books on this subject
"A Guide to Investing in Volunteer Resources Management: Improve Your Philanthropic Portfolio"
Part of AVA's "Positioning the Profession" project, this unique 21-page guide can be used anywhere to educate funders about the value of supporting volunteer efforts.
The Can Do Events Guide by Oxford Inspires (2007)
A guide to running events in Oxfordshire (UK) but the help and guidance in terms of how to set up an event is generic.
The 8 Online Fundraising Changes You Must Make in 2010
This e-book is free but requires registration to download.
Web sites with useful information on this subject
Bank of America Philanthropic Management
Site that provides detailed information about the grantmaking focus of approximately 70 foundations, including their missions, application procedures, proposal deadlines, and contact information. Currently (2010), the site is an introductory portal for foundations distributing charitable grants in: California, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.
Benevon Model of Fundraising
Founded by Terry Axelrod, Benevon trains and coaches nonprofit organizations to implement a mission-based system for raising sustainable funding from individual donors. A free overview of their model is available here.
Magazine Archive Library
Archived articles on all aspects of fundraising and other related issues from this bimonthly print publication. Also see section called "Panascope" for insightful articles by philanthropy expert, Jerold Panas.
The venerable Foundation Center site has lots of information for grantseekers, and this FAQ list is great, especialy for beginners.
Archives of articles on all aspects of fundraising.
Great amount of information on how to fundraise through grants.
Articles on ways small organizations can raise funds.
Unique international program offering the management of volunteers for nonprofit conferences and events, at no charge except expenses. For eligibility details and a summary of their work, see: http://www.icvolunteers.org/index.php?what=ser&id=6
Institute of Fundraising
Has developed a series of codes of practice in fundraising for the UK. See especially their 2005 release, "Volunteer Fundraising Code."
Network for Good Learning Center
Provides online fundraising services and training to nonprofit organizations through fundraising tools, e-newsletter communications, free teleconferences presented by industry leaders and its Learning Center. In 2008 it acquired ePhilanthropy.org.
Capacity Building Resource Database
Human Interaction Resource Institute offers snapshots of foundation funding for "capacity building." Page also gives Web site links to other sites concerned with nonprofit support.
"How to Organize & Promote an Event or Meeting" portal and guide for activists.
"Focus on Fundraising"
Archived articles on all sorts of fundraising ideas for leaders of parent/teacher groups but applicable to any organization.
Any one person is connected to any other person through six or fewer relationships, because it's a small world. SixDegrees.org (founded by Kevin Bacon and Network for Good) is about using this idea to accomplish something good (social networking with a social conscience). Support favorite charities by donating or creating fundraising “badges” — as well as check out the favorite causes of other people, including celebrities.
Venture Philanthropy Partners
"A philanthropic investment organization that helps great leaders build strong, high-performing nonprofit institutions."
Free site designed to enable anyone to quickly mobilize, coordinate , and schedule volunteers in their community, congregation and social network to accomplish projects more easily.
Revelant Hot Topic essays
- The Correlation between Time Donors and Money Donors - July '10
- It’s Volunteers and Money - May '08
- Should We Ask Volunteers to Give Money on Top of Time? - July '04
- Raising Money through Volunteer Labor - June '03
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more