Volunteering in Government Settings
Articles on this subject
- Citizen Involvement in Boulder County Government, Colorado
- Government Volunteers, 2003 legislation from South Carolina (provided as an example of US state regulations)
- Investing in Volunteerism: The Impact of Service Initiatives in Selected Texas State Agencies
- Preventing a Disaster within the Disaster: The Effective Use and Management of Unaffiliated Volunteers - free PDF booklet by Points of Light, UPS and FEMA.
- State and Local Government Volunteers Act, 2002 legislation from Arkansas (provided as another example)
- StudentJobs.gov explanation of the US Federal regulations limiting volunteer service (1998).
- Volunteer Activity in Elections - description of volunteer work permitted or limited in federal elections (US, 2004)
- Volunteerism and the Government Sector, by Susan J. Ellis for USIA (1998)
Free electronic books on this subject
Volunteer Toolbox, from the National Association of Counties and NAVPLG (see below). (37 pg. PDF, 2012)
Web sites with information on this subject
Volunteering in government agencies in New South Wales, Australia and hints on ways to build community.
Marin County Civic
One of the pioneering volunteers in municipal government programs.
National Association of Volunteer Programs in Local Government (NAVPLG)
Membership association for leaders of volunteers in government, anywhere in the world. Site offers networking and resources.
US government site listing Federal agency volunteer programs.
The United States: A Nation of Volunteers
The United States Information Agency’s (USIA) electronic journal of U.S. Society & Values of September 1998 has a range of articles about the role of volunteering in America, from 12 authors such as Bill Clinton, Harris Wofford, Betty Stallings, and Susan Ellis.
Revelant Hot Topic essays
- Limiting Volunteers through Insurance Requirements - Aug '10
- Does It Matter if Volunteers Work in a Nonprofit or a Government Setting? - June '04
- Making Volunteer Management Happen: A Proposal for AmeriCorps - April '04
- Government, Politicians, and the Use of the Word "Volunteer" - February '04
For information on this topic specifically relating to the Australasian region please visit our friends at OzVPM:
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more