FREE tips and news directly to your in-box!
Sign up here for your choice of our monthly e-newsletters
Articles and book excerpts on this subject
- America’s Voluntary Spirit by Brian O’Connell for USIA (1998)
- Corporate Citizenship: A Tax in Disguise? by Richard Teather, challenging the philosophy behind the practice.
- Creating a Statement of Philosophy on Volunteer Engagement by Betty B. Stallings with Susan J. Ellis, from Leading the Way to Successful Volunteer Involvement: Practical Tools for Busy Executives
- Directory of Social Change (UK), February 2011 "Quick Survey Analysis" on the question: Which would most benefit your organisation, a £10,000 cash donation or an equivalent value in volunteers (or volunteer hours)? -- 91% chose the cash.
- The Emergence of Female Activism in US History, from the book Natural Allies
- The History of Volunteer Involvement in Seven Stages, by Susan J. Ellis from The NonProfit Times
- In Frontier Days: From good neighbours to the earliest voluntary organizations -- brief essay on Canadian volunteering history
Language of Volunteering - A Time for Vigilance, by
- The Past Is Prologue, from the book By the People: A History of Americans as Volunteers, New Century Edition, by Susan J. Ellis and Katherine H. Campbell (2005)
- Professional Ethics in Volunteer Administration, originally developed by the former Association for Volunteer Administration and kept current by the Council for Certification in Volunteer Administration (http://www.cvacert.org).
- Rethinking Volunteer Engagement, from Volunteer Canada
- Servi-Tourism, by Ann Hulbert for Slate
- Understanding Service: Words in the Context of History and Culture (free pdf file), multi-cultural study of the words used for "service," from the Global Service Institute
- Virtuous Giving, from Virtuous Giving
- Volunteering: The Human Face of Democracy, by Jennifer Wilkinson and Michael Bittman, Social Policy Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Australia (2002, PDF)
- Volunteering: Noble Gesture or the Logic of Necessity?, detailed book review of Volunteers and Volunteering, highlighting key issues in Australia and elsewhere.
- Volunteering and Social Change from the Energize Book Blog
- Volunteers Are Human Resources…or Are They? by Susan J. Ellis in The NonProfit Times, 2003
Free electronic books on this subject:
A History of Nonprofit Boards in the United States
30-page PDF by Peter Dobkin Hall (BoardSource, 2003)
Web sites with useful information on this subject
Positions and Arguments
Collected by the Ayn Rand Institute:
Codes of Ethics
The Chronicle of Philanthropy has compiled this list of online resources for creating codes of ethics.
Ethics Q&A Archives – “Doing Good Right”
From CharityVillage NewsWeek (Canada), this archive of questions and answers to ethical questions by Jane Garthson focuses on sticky issues confronted by nonprofit boards.
Famous and Celebrity
Brief bio notes and links on the Youth in Philanthropy site of The Foundation Center.
Poor: Friendly visiting, dole charities and dole queues
155-page PDF by Robert Whelan for Civitas: Institute for the Study of Civil Society, London, 2001, examining the roots of organized charity in England from the "volunteer person of leisure" to paid social workers.
Essays and Pamphlets
Archival material from the IUPUI University Library's Philanthropy Resources Online collection.
The English-language site of the volunteer resource center in the Czech Republic on which there are several provocative articles about the meaning of volunteering in socialist and formerly-communist countries.
Citizenship: Charity and Civic Virtue
70-page PDF by Frank Prochaska for Civitas: Institute for the Study of Civil Society, London, 2002, thoughtfully examining the history of voluntary collective action in Britain versus the rise of the welfare state.
The Serious Leisure Perspective
Canadian academic William A. Stebbins has devoted his career to studying the connection of leisure to work and volunteering, as well as professional to amateur. The site offers a wealth of materials, including a Digital Library of many articles.
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- Strategic Volunteer Management: Expanding Your Organization’s Brain - May '13
- Revisiting the Seven Deadly Sins of Directing Volunteers - Apr '13
- Should We Cap the Number of Hours a Volunteer May Serve Each Week?- Jan. '13
- Common Sense and Volunteer Involvement- April '12
- How Serving the Volunteer Field Has Changed after 35 Years – Or Not?- March '12
- Limiting Volunteers through Insurance Requirements - Aug '10
- "You Get What You Pay For" - April '10
- The Moral Obligation of Volunteer Recruitment Promises - Oct '07
- Together We Stand: Volunteers and Volunteer Resource Managers Connected - Dec '06
- Encouraging Entrepreneurial Volunteering - Nov '06
- The Implications of History - Jan '06
- War and Volunteers: History Repeats Itself - Apr '03
- Making an Impact When You Spend Money - Feb '03
- The World According to Volunteer Experience - Mar '02
- Moving on from 2001 - Jan '02
- A Volunteerism Perspective on the Days after the 11th of September - Oct '01
- Money is No Object - May '01
- Purity and Reality: For-Profit Consulting in Volunteerism - Mar '01
- On Being a Dream-Catcher - Dec '00
- A Proposal for IYV2001: The Look Back to Look Ahead Project - Oct '00
- Volunteering in For-Profit Settings: Exploitation or Value Added? - Feb '00
- Philanthropy, Civic Engagement, and the Lessons of Volunteering - Oct '99
- Lessening Social Exclusion through Volunteering - April '99
- The Money Factor in Volunteer Management - Mar '99
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more