FREE tips and news directly to your in-box!
Sign up here for your choice of our monthly e-newsletters
For Individual Volunteers
- From Tragedy to Triumph: How can philanthropy and volunteering help my child cope with tragic world events? from Raising Charitable Children
- Helping Volunteers to Market Their Experience on Their Resumes
- How to Know When Not to Volunteer- solid advice from WikiHow
- Prayers for Every Volunteer from A Moment With God for Volunteers
- Recommended Readings: A Novel Approach from Make a Difference: Your Guide to Volunteering and Community Service
- Ten Tips for Volunteering Wisely, from the Independent Sector's "Give Five" campaign
- Top Eleven Reasons to Volunteer by DoSomething.org (scroll down to see the list).
- Volunteer Vacations from Volunteer Vacations
- Voices From the Heart In Celebration of America's Volunteers from Voices from the Heart
- Volunteering May Help Your Career More Than You Think, by Meg Handley (2011)
- Volunteering 101, by Sarah Erdreich on the Motley Fool site (2006)
- A Volunteer's Bill of Rights, samples compiled by John Lipp
- What Do You Want to Do? from Volunteer Survival Manual
Free electronic books on this subject
A Toolkit to Meaningful Volunteering for Boomers
Tips and tools to help Boomers find rewarding volunteer work, developed by the Renaissance 50+ project in Ottawa, CA (French language version available on their website).
Bridging the Digital Divide - Connecting Volunteers
Short handbook developed for volunteers in Brazilian charities in Sao Paulo providing basic, practical information for making the most of e-mail and the Internet in their service. Available in English and Portugese versions.
Explore is “a philanthropic community whose mission is to champion the selfless acts of others” by documenting leaders around the world who have devoted their lives to extraordinary causes. Its growing library of more than 250 original films and 30,000 photographs from around the world features a wide range of topics and everything can be used free of charge for motivation and training.
Power Skills – How Volunteerism Shapes Professional Success
2006 study by Womens Way in Philadelphia shows how critical business skills, like problem solving, coaching/mentoring, and public speaking are developed and improved through volunteerism.
Web sites on this subject
Alternative Spring Break
United Way of America site about ways college students can help others during their school breaks, such as rebuilding after Hurricane Katrina.
Articles and personal stories from volunteers in the UK about their volunteering experiences, with emphasis on young people.
International Volunteerism Resource Center from Idealist.org
A free, comprehensive source for information, tools, and strategies for making informed decisions about engaging in meaningful international service.
Volunteer Program Association
Portal and search site providing information for volunteering overseas through a variety of organizations. See http://www.volunteerinternational.org/memberlist.html for an excellent list of other Web sites dealing with volunteering abroad.
Kindness: New Ways We Give and Volunteer http://content.usatoday.com/communities/kindness/index USA Today's "daily source of inspiration and guide to making a difference in fresh and exciting ways," giving individuals the chance to share the volunteer service they do on a Kindness forum.
Innovative site that assists in "organizing local gatherings about anything, anywhere." This free service also enable "volunteerists" to get together to plan community service projects ( http://volunteerism.meetup.com ).
Volunteer Resource Center from Idealist.org
"Your starting place for learning more about and finding great volunteer opportunities around the globe" -- with various articles about volunteering in general.
Europe: A Guide to Volunteer Success
Various articles with tips for anyone considering volunteering abroad.
First-person essays on the experiences of UN Volunteers promoting peace and development all over the world.
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- Volunteers Should Not Be Second-Class Taxpayers - Jul '08
- Is the Rising Cost of Gas a Crisis or an Opportunity for Volunteering? - Jun '08
- Voluntourism - Pros, Cons, and Possibilities - Feb. '07