FREE tips and news directly to your in-box!
Sign up here for your choice of our monthly e-newsletters
Also see resources in the library under "Virtual Volunteering"
Articles/excerpts on this subject
- Civic Engagement and the Internet: Online Volunteers, Mary C. Joyce, posting to Internet & Democracy Blog, Nov. 2007 -- note discussion of possible underutilization of willing online volunteers.
- Extra, Extra! Ben Rigby talks micro-volunteering and community, online interview posted at NetSquared, August 2010
- Future Forward: The Extraordinaries Brings Micro-Volunteering to the Web, by Robert Rosenthal, VolunteerMatch, October 2009.
- Microblogging and Nonprofits, by Jayne Cravens
- Micro Volunteering - Changing The World In Just Your Pyjamas! (2010)
- Micro-volunteering: Fast food for the Big Society? by Leonie Shanks, Innovation Unit, UK (2011)
- Micro-volunteering via mobile phones: Hype or hope? by Steve Spillman on Dowser (2010)
- Mobile Volunteerism: How Mobile Apps Are Enabling Macro, Micro, and Indirect Volunteering, by Dale Zak (2010)
- Orange set to mobilise millions with volunteering app - UK news story posted on iVolunteer (2011)
- Virtual Volunteers: How to Keep Engagement with Micro-volunteering, discussion board on TechSoup (2010)
- Why Microvolunteering Is Not Virtual Volunteering, Sparked Blog, December 24, 2010 ... and see the response: Microvolunteering Is Virtual Volunteering, blog post by Jayne Cravens, Feb. 2011
Free electronic books on this subject
How To Set Up A Microvolunteering Project
By the UK microvolunteering site, Help from Home, aimed at charities and nonprofits interested in exploring the world of microvolunteering (42-page PDF, 2011).
Websites with information on this subject
"Donate Your Brain!" Microvolunteering Project of Tech Soup
Great example of how to create and run a micro-volunteering project.
Help from Home
UK site encouraging micro-actions that can be done “in your pyjamas.”
“Micro-volunteering” section of i-Volunteer.org.uk http://www.i-volunteer.org.uk/tags/micro-volunteering. Also, http://www.i-volunteer.org.uk/pengecom/micro-volunteering
Mobile Volunteering http://mobilevolunteering.co.uk Project of Orange (a UK telephone company).
Sparked - The Microvolunteering Network
Brought to you by The Extraordinaries, who were pioneers in this field.
Spots of Time
UK site devoted to off-line activities taking only a short while to serve others.
We Are What We Do
A UK-based site that "creates stuff that makes it easier for people to do small, good things everyday," which they call "actions."
It’s not just the English-speaking world either. See this site from Spain: www.microvoluntarios.org
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- The Self-Directed Volunteer - May '10
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more