FREE tips and news directly to your in-box!
Sign up here for your choice of our monthly e-newsletters
Articles, book excerpts, and reports on this subject
- "Boomnet": Capturing the Baby Boomer Volunteers - Australian research study by Dr. Judy Esmond highlighting what might make Baby Boomers different from current older volunteers (42-page PDF)
- "Boomnet to Boomnot" - Part 2 of the research study on Baby Boomers and Volunteering in Australia, by Judy Esmond, 2002 (28-page PDF)
- The Future of Old Age, from the book Older Volunteers
- Older Volunteers/Aging in Place, from What We Learned (the Hard Way) about Supervising Volunteers
- Reinventing Aging: Baby Boomers and Civic Engagement, Harvard School of Public Health–MetLife Foundation Initiative on Retirement and Civic Engagement, 2004 (162-page PDF)
- A Review of the Home Office Volunteers Initiative, a UK report issued in 2002 (80-page PDF)
- Time and Money: An In-Depth Look at 45+ Volunteers and Donors, 2003 study by AARP on the extent of volunteering by older Americans, including informal helping and attention to ethnic minorities.
- Tips for Recruiting and Managing Older Volunteers by Leah Kirkman, 2003 article on the Chronicle of Philanthropy's Philanthropy Careers Web site.
Free electronic books on this subject
Appealing to Experience: Zeroing in on the Right Message
From Experience Corps, this 44-page booklet discusses how to recruit seniors into volunteering (2005).
Community Treasures: Recognizing the Contributions of Older Immigrants and Refugees
Report from Temple University's Center for Intergenerational Learning on a study to gain a better understanding of why and how older immigrants contribute to their families and communities and to identify promising practices that support the engagement of immigrant elders in meaningful roles (64-page PDF, 2008).
Doing Good Well: Engaging Senior Volunteers
From Singapore's National Center on Volunteering and Philanthropy, this 30-page guide shows how organizations have benefited from the skills and commitment of senior volunteers in a wide range of jobs, with tips distilled from NVPC's discussions with NPOs and senior volunteers.
Engaging 50+ Volunteers:
A Resource Guide for Agencies
Developed by the Renaissance 50+ project in Ottawa, Canada (French version also available).
Keeping Baby Boomers Volunteering – A Research Brief on Volunteer Retention and Turnover, Corporation for National and Community Service, 2007.
More to Give: Tapping the Talents of the Baby Boomer, Silent and Greatest Generations by John M. Bridgeland, Robert D. Putnam, and Harris L. Wofford for AARP (2008, 46 pg. PDF)
Paving the Way: Volunteer Centers and Baby Boomer Volunteering, a report from the Points of Light Foundation, 2006.
Volunteer Transitions among Older Americans, by Barbara Butrica, Richard W. Johnson, and Sheila R. Zedlewski, from the Urban Institute (2007).
Web sites with useful articles on this subject
On the Institute for Volunteering Research site (UK).
Boomers in Action
RSVP of North Central Iowa project, with Boomer volunteer stories.
Boomers Leading Change
A project of the Rose Community Foundation. Site gives research reports and links.
Coming of Age
Free reports on volunteering by Boomers, developed by this program from the Temple University Center for Inergenerational Learning.
Regeneration: Recruiting Older Americans to Serve the Public Good
Compilation of many articles about senior volunteers, Boomers, etc.
Examples of senior volunteering around the world, compiled by United Nations Volunteers.
From Volunteer Canada.
Volunteering in the Third Age (VITA)
UK program to promote the value, impact, and numbers of over 65s volunteering by removing barriers across the voluntary and community sector. See various reports and research in the "Resources" section.
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- AmeriCorps and Senior Corps Targeting Volunteer Management - Mar '10
- Don't Call Me a 'Senior'! - Apr '02
- The Volunteer Generation Gap - July '00
information on this topic specifically relating to the Australasian
region please visit our friends at OzVPM:
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more