FREE tips and news directly to your in-box!
Sign up here for your choice of our monthly e-newsletters
(includes Volunteer Motivation)
Also see, Books on this topic and the list of "Websites Where You Can Post Volunteer Opportunities"
Articles/excerpts on this subject
- The ABCs of Recruitment, by the Community Literacy of Ontario
- Barriers to Volunteering: Hidden messages in your recruitment from The NonProfit Times "On Volunteers" column
- The Black Church, from the book Pass It On
- But Everyone Knows...The Case for Prospective Volunteers from The Nonprofit Times column "On Volunteers"
- Changing Work Patterns from Count Me In!
- A Choice Blend: What volunteers want from organisation and management, by the Institute for Volunteering Research UK (2008)
- Creative Volunteer Roles from The NonProfit Times "On Volunteers" column
- Decide Needed Role and Set Recruitment Goals from Mobilizing People for Marketing Success
- Finding Daytime Volunteers, from The NonProfit Times "On Volunteers" column
- From Barriers to Bridges: A Guide for Volunteer-Involving Organisations (Microsoft Word file) , from the National Centre for Volunteering, UK
- Getting to Yes: Strategies for Volunteer Recruitment, by Susan J. Ellis for Girl Scout Leader magazine
- Happiness of Giving: The Intrinsic Value of Giving and Volunteering on the Quality of Life by Michelle R. Wallpe
- How to Recruit Volunteers Using Social Media, on The Social Animal site (2011)
- Missed Opportunities for Good Help from The NonProfit Times column "On Volunteers"
- "Oh, By the Way!" The Four Words that Volunteers Hate to Hear, by Tom McKee
- Online Volunteer Recruitment, by Andrew Urban
- Postering Secrets: How & Where to Hang Flyers On Your Campus, from The Student Leader
- Putting Ideas into Action from An Asset Builder's Guide to Your Leadership
- Recruiting is like Dating:
Don't Ask For Marriage on a First Date,
by Thomas W. McKee
- Recruiting Volunteers: Factsheet from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food.
- Recruiting Tips for a Mentoring Program by Sheryl Nefstead and Scott Nefstead
- The Power of Personal Relationships from Good Guys: The Eight Steps to Limitless Possibility for Fraternity Recruitment
- The Revolution in Recruiting, by Ivan H. Scheier
- The Seven Deadly Sins of Recruiting Volunteers, by Tom McKee
- 12 Basic Needs of Every Volunteer
From Volunteers: How to Get Them, How to Keep Them
- An Untapped Volunteer Resource: People with HIV Disease, ARC or AIDS from the Journal of Volunteer Administration
- Virtual Volunteering Tag Lines (slogans)
- Volunteer Recruitment and Retention, by Maria De Simone
- Volunteer Recruitment Brochures: How to tap into the marketing power of testimonials, by Katherine Khalife
- What's in a Name? from A People Lens: 101 Ways to Move Your Organization Forward
- Why Volunteer? by Susan J. Ellis
- Writing Persuasive Recruitment Appeals, by Steve McCurley in Grapevine
- Your "Circle of Resources", from The Volunteer Recruitment Book
Also see the "Recruitment Insights" area of our Collective Wisdom section.
Free electronic books on this subject
Appealing to Experience: Zeroing in on the Right Message
From Experience Corps, this 44-page booklet discusses how to recruit seniors into volunteering (2005).
Clever Communications, guide for
charities who want to know more
about working with the media, including volunteer recruitment, from askCharity in the UK (90 pg. PDF).
Developing the Volunteer Motivation Inventory to Assess the Underlying Motivational Drives of Volunteers in Western Australia by Judy Esmond (2004, 82 pg PDF). Executive Summary also available.
Doing Good Well: Engaging Ad Hoc Volunteers, from the National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre, Singapore (2008, 40-pg PDF)
Inspiring Volunteers: A Guide to Recruitment and Communications, from MediaTrust and i-volunteer (UK), emphasizing social media (2010, 76 pg.PDF)
Matter of Survival: Volunteering in, by, and with Low-income Communities
Points of Light Foundation (36-page PDF) guide. See the Neighboring section of their Web site for more materials.
Male Volunteers: A Guide Based on Exploratory Research (pdf
Assesses factors that increase male volunteering in service programs and offers concrete approaches to overcoming barriers and designing programs that are attractive to males.
Strategic Recruiting: Using Creative Communication Principles to Find the People You
A 26-page PDF published by Community Literacy of Ontario (Canada) about creative outreach strategies for the 21st century.
Tool Kit for Recruiting and Supporting Job-Seeking Volunteers, produced by the Minnesota Association for Volunteer Administration (2011, 32 pgs.) or view the components of the Tool Kit on the MAVA site.
Turn Your Organisation into a Volunteer Magnet, 2nd ed.
Edited by Andy Fryar, Rob Jackson, and Fraser Dyer (2007, 204 pp.)
Essays from contributing volunteer managers around the world on attracting the best and most diverse volunteers and then working with them successfully.
Web sites with information on this subject
"An Online Workshop About Recruitment & Maintaining Volunteers in the New Environment" by Community Literacy of Ontario.
Several articles both cautioning about and explaining how to recruit and work with celebrities as volunteers, from The Chronicle of Philanthropy's "Philanthropy Careers" site.
A free bimonthly newsletter for nonprofits on how to attract constituents, drive action and build loyalty through online relationship management. Archives available online.
in Community Work
Chapter 7 of the "Community Toolbox," with self-teaching modules on gaining participation by community members.
Approaches to advocacy communication campaigns. Click on "resources" from the home page to access their free resources.
The Serious Leisure Perspective
Canadian academic William A. Stebbins has devoted his career to studying the connection of leisure to work and volunteering, as well as professional to amateur. The site offers a wealth of materials, including a Digital Library of many articles.
Recruiting and Working with Ethnocultural Volunteers
Online manual by the Central Volunteer Bureau of Ottawa-Carleton (Canada) about how to make volunteer programs attractive and accessible to ethnic minority volunteers, based on input from program managers with experience.
Clever phrases for recruiting volunteers into virtual volunteering assignments.
This very useful site, no matter where you are located, is a project of the Voluntary Action Media Unit (VAMU) in the UK. Volunteer Genie aims to help site visitors “use the power of the media to recruit volunteers.” Full of ideas, advice from media experts, and other free guides to develop a media strategy.
Volunteer Recruitment: Tips from the Field
Resource guide compiled by Sarah Jane Rehnborg and Betsy Clubine with a team of volunteer professionals from around the state of Texas.
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- Why Social Media Is Not the Cure-All for Building Volunteer Engagement - Mar '13
- The Perfect Volunteer Storm - Nov '12
- Is Volunteering the Emperor’s New Clothes? - Jul '12
- Three Things Volunteer Managers Can Learn from the Social Media Revolution - May '12
- Short Attention Spans versus Long-term Causes - May '11
- Good Intentions Going Nowhere – Again - October '10
- Both Receiving and Giving - Feb '10
- The Moral Obligation of Volunteer Recruitment Promises - Oct '07
- When Do Incentives to Volunteer Cross the Line? - July '05
- Recruitment Maxims - Mar '05
- Marketing Savvy - Our Field's Blind Spot - Mar '03
- If Not Your Home Page, Then Where? - Aug '00
- Reaching Out to International Visitors - May '98
For information on this topic specifically relating to the Australasian region please visit our friends at OzVPM :
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more