FREE tips and news directly to your in-box!
Sign up here for your choice of our monthly e-newsletters
Role of Director of Volunteers
Articles and book excerpts on this subject
- 4 Volunteer Management Mistakes and How to Avoid Them, by Karen Bantuveris on CharityHappenings.org (2011)
- It Starts with You...The Volunteer Administrator, from the Journal of Volunteer Administration
- Just Pay Them: Volunteers' Managers Getting Shorted in Pay from the Nonprofit Times
- Preparing for the Volunteers First Day, from the Focus on Volunteering KopyKit
- Recognizing Your Role, from The (Help!) Guide
- The Skills Required for Leading Volunteers, series of 6 articles on the Helium site under “Nonprofits”
- Starting a Volunteer Program in an Organization, 12-pg PDF from the Points of Light Foundation
- Ten Things to Research, Evaluate or at Least Think About from The Seven Rs of Volunteer Management
- "Volunteer Engagement" by Sybil Stershic, compilation of blog postings, 2010
Free electronic books on this subject
"A Guide to Investing in Volunteer Resources Management: Improve Your Philanthropic Portfolio"
Part of AVA's "Positioning the Profession" project, this unique 21-page guide can be used anywhere to educate funders about the value of supporting volunteer efforts.
The Hidden Workforce: How to Make the Most of Volunteers in Child- and Youth-Serving Agencies by the New England Network for Child, Youth& Family Services --
a 64-page toolkit that takes a clear-eyed look at what volunteers can really do in child- and youth-serving agencies, and how to get started growing or improving your own volunteer program, whatever your setting (2010).
Influencing Up: A Guide to Gaining Executive Support for Volunteering and Volunteer Management, from Volunteering England (2010, 40 pg.)
Nuts & Bolts: A how to guide to involving volunteers, by Volunteer Centre Sheffield, UK (2010, 38 pg.).
Professional Ethics in Volunteer Administration, originally developed by the former Association for Volunteer Administration and kept current by the Council for Certification in Volunteer Administration (http://www.cvacert.org).
Strategies for Recruiting, Training, and Utilizing Volunteers: A
Guide for Faith- and Community-Based Service Providers, Substance
Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (2005, 56 pages)
Focuses on prevention, treatment, and recovery services for substance abuse and mental illness; however, the principles described apply to any field and may help organizations understand how to start and manage a successful volunteer program.
Take Root: Volunteer Management Guidebook
From HandsOn Network and the Corporation for National Community Service, this 56-page PDF provides a simple overview of the tasks of managing a project with volunteers (2010). Especially pertinent for volunteers leading other volunteers.
Turn Your Organisation into a Volunteer Magnet, 2nd ed. Edited by Andy Fryar, Rob Jackson, and Fraser Dyer (2007, 204 pp.)
Essays from contributing volunteer managers around the world on attracting the best and most diverse volunteers and then working with them successfully.
Canadian Volunteers: Using the National Survey on Volunteering,
Giving and Participating to Build Your Volunteer Program
This excellent, free, 44-page guide demonstrates wonderfully how to apply research to practice by applying data in the National Survey to specific aspects of volunteer management. By Norah McClintock for the Canadian Centre for Philanthropy and Volunteer Canada (2004).
Volunteer Management Competencies: Indicators from Novice to Expert by Anne Schink of the Maine Commission for Community Service (2007).
Volunteer Management for Animal Care Organizations, by Betsy McFarland for the Humane Society of the United States (2nd ed., 127 pgs., 2005) -- released for free distribution, July 2011. Excellent for any type of organization.
Web sites with introductory or summary materials on the basic elements of volunteer management:
Action Without Borders/Idealist.org, partnering with Energize, launched the
Volunteer Management Resource Center - http://www.idealist.org/info/VolunteerMgmt - in 2007 as a comprehensive site focusing on the role of the volunteer program manager .
See also Major Web Information Sources
Overview of volunteer management basics from the Brighton and Hove Volunteer Bureau in the UK.
Volunteerism and Community Service Guide
Lengthy overview of the basics of creating a volunteer program.
Standards for Management of Volunteers
The Voluntary Sector National Training Organisation's
detailed and comprehensive set of occupation standards for the role of volunteer program manager in the UK (available free in PDF and Word formats).
Volunteer Development Agency
Extensive selection of free, downloadable publications, checklists, and tools for volunteer program managers.
Voluntary Matters 3
Online learning sites supporting community television programmes of The Media Trust in the UK, focused on volunteer management. Innovative use of case studies, discussion questions, off-line activities, and resources.
Volunteer Development and Management
Resources for 4-H volunteer leaders and ideas for recruitment, training, utilizing, and recognizing volunteers.
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- Revisiting the Seven Deadly Sins of Directing Volunteers - Apr '13
- Practicing What We Preach: Volunteers Helping Us, Too - Oct '12
- "Why?" Is More Powerful than #@#%! - Sep '12
- Let’s Be Honest about Nonprofit Boards of Directors (or, Lessons to Be Learned from Penn State) - Aug '12
- What Would the Perfect Volunteer-Involving Organization Look Like? - Jan '12
- Part-time Volunteer Management Means Equally Limited Volunteer Involvement - Nov '11
- What Leaders of Volunteers Can DO to Gain Executive Attention - Oct '11
- Needed: A Multi-level Approach to Credentialing Volunteer Management - July '11
- It’s Volunteers and Money - May '08
- So, What Do You Do? - Jan '08
- Helper Triage: Volunteer Management in Emergencies - Dec '07
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more