Volunteer Training Tools
Articles and book excerpts on this subject
- Get Your Life Organized! - Skit #2, from the book The Time of Your Life
- Getting Together Icebreakers and Group Energizers from Getting Together
- Myths and Facts about Partnerships Between Adults and Youth from Working Shoulder to Shoulder
- Orientation and Training of Event Volunteers from How to Produce Fabulous Fundraising Events
- Redefine Evaluation, from The Great Trainer's Guide
- The Room from Secrets of Successful Retreats
- Running a Safe and Effective Mentoring Program, from Running a Safe and Effective Mentoring Program
- Effective Event Signs, from the book Organizing Special Events and Conferences
- Simple Facilitation Tricks to Enliven Any Presentation, by Terrie Temkin from Enhance, the newsletter of the Alliance for Nonprofit Management.
- Sneaky and Insightful Boardroom Questions by Carol Weisman (2010)
- So, You've Been Put in Charge of the Nametags, by Scott Ginsburg (free article, but need to register with your email address to access)
- Training Design and Content, from the book Training Busy Staff to Succeed with Volunteers
- Working Together 55 Team Games from Working Together
Free electronic books on this subject
Facilitated Discussions: A Volunteer Management Workbook, guide from Volunteer Canada on how to consult stakeholders in the development, design, delivery or review of service and programs (37-pg. PDF)
How to Run a Workshop, by Maeve Moynihan, Jean-Jaques Guilbert, Bryan Walker, and Adi Walker of Network Learning. This 35-page manual guides activists through the decision-making and action procedures of running a workshop. It includes planning the workshop content, planning the administration and facilitating and running the workshop. (PDF)
Web sites with information on this subject
Charity Days UK
Fascinating program in the UK offering a group of professional trainers who have volunteered to give their time free of charge to registered charities to help them "ake a bigger difference by making the training budget go further."
ChristianVolunteering.org Training Materials
Online registry of Christian volunteer opportunities run through TechMission, this site offers a variety of free training materials for volunteers and program managers, including PowerPoint shows, videos, Webcasts, and templates.
Archive of dozens of practical tips from professional convention planners that are applicable to any conference or training event.
Explore is “a philanthropic community whose mission is to champion the selfless acts of others” by documenting leaders around the world who have devoted their lives to extraordinary causes. Its growing library of more than 250 original films and 30,000 photographs from around the world features a wide range of topics and everything can be used free of charge for motivation and training.
Hello, My Name
Unusual, funny, and wise Web site devoted to the power and uses of nametags (yes, nametags). See the free article section.
Training Materials Database
Wide range of free learning materials from Australia's National Volunteer Skills Centre.
SALTO Training Toolbox
Large number of group training exercises on all aspects of diversity and youth action.
Story at Work.com/Golden
Site devoted to organizational storytelling as a tool to building community, orienting new members, and passing on organizational values and culture.
Online learning sites supporting community television programmes of The Media Trust in the UK, focused on volunteer management. Innovative use of case studies, discussion questions, off-line activities, and resources.
Backbone of Community Initiatives
Training design for 6 modules on volunteer management, including trainer notes and participant manual. From the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
"I Can Volunteer" - Project Angel Food
A fun song and dance number from Project Angel Food, which engages and entertains the new volunteer, while poviding the basic operational knowledge he or she will need to have.
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- Stop Volunteers from Being Their Own Worst Enemies - Jun '13
- Reinventing Conferences - Sept '98
information on this topic specifically relating to the Australasian
region please visit our friends at OzVPM
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more