International Volunteering and Volunteer Management
(as defined from an American perspective)
Articles and book excerpts on this subject
- Characteristics of Regions, from the book A New Civic Europe?
- Fundraising from US Companies from Fundraising from America
- Global Service Fellowships: Building Bridges through American Volunteers by Harris Wofford and John Bridgeland, Brookings Institution, (2007)
- Legal Status of Volunteers: Poland, "Country Report" from AVSO and CEV (PDF)
- On Corporate Giving and Philanthropy in Brazil, by Sonia Avelar
- Voluntarism in Kosovo, historical overview by UNDP
- Voluntarism in Rural Development in India : Initiative, Innovation, and Institutions, from The Nonprofit Sector In the Global Community: Voices from Many Nations (Independent Sector)
- V2 Volunteerism Action Guide: Multiplying the Power of Service, produced the the US Peace Corps (2008) to help members develop service-learning projects in developing countries (65 pgs.).
- Volunteers and Volunteerism in Egypt, 2002 report (PDF)
Web sites with useful articles on this subject
European Commission Youth Programme
Non-formal education programme targeting young people aged between 15 and 25 years in 31 European countries.
This newspaper web site devotes a full section to the topic of volunteering, with many provocative articles challenging the value and role of British volunteers.
Volunteer Program Association
Portal and search site providing information for volunteering overseas through a variety of organizations. See http://www.volunteerinternational.org/resources.html for an excellent list of other Web sites dealing with volunteering abroad.
International Volunteerism Resource Center from Idealist.org
A free, comprehensive source for information, tools, and strategies for making informed decisions about engaging in meaningful international service.
OneWorld UK Volunteering Guide
OneWorld Guides offer an introduction to relevant sustainable development and human rights issues, with pointers to more detailed content. This one focuses on trends in worldwide volunteering.
OVAC Share the View
Quarterly news magazine from the Osaka Voluntary Action Center in Japan. Last issue released in June, 2006. English archive at http://www.osakavol.org/english/share/bkindex.html
Comprehensive volunteer management site with a special focus the Australasian region. (And a partner site to Energizeinc.com)
Service Enquiry is a series published by the Global Service Institute, USA in partnership with Volunteer and Service Enquiry Southern Africa (VOSESA), Johannesburg, South Africa, focusing on the latest developments in service policy and programmes, and on the impact of service on democratic values, citizenship and socio-economic development. Free copies in English and Spanish on the Website; print-on-demand copies available for a fee.
Monthly news magazine from the Tokyo Voluntary Action Center in Japan. English archive at http://www.tvac.or.jp/page/english_nw.html
World Volunteer Web
As a follow up to the International Year of Volunteers 2001, United Nations Volunteers (UNV) has created a comprehensive Web site offering continuing news of worldwide volunteer efforts, including government actions and the formation of new volunteer centers in other countries. Also see their extensive -- and intriguing -- list of research studies on volunteerism in dozens of countries around the developed and developing world: http://www.worldvolunteerweb.org/resources/research-reports/national.html
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- Why a New Association Should Serve the USA - Apr '06
- Watching, Helping and Learning from China - Oct '04
- Let's Commit to International Exchange - July/Aug '98
- Global Connections - International Volunteerism - Nov '97
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more