Legislation and Government Guidelines on Volunteering
Articles on this subject
- A Nation of Doers Needs to Do More , editorial by Robert Putnam and John Bridgeland (2004)
- Citizen Involvement in Boulder County Government, Colorado
- "Employee" or "Volunteer?" U.S. Department of Labor Provides Guidance by Ballard Spahr Andrews & Ingersoll, LLP (explaining a government ruling, 2005)
- Executive Order from Governor Schwarzenegger declaring a cabinet-level position for service and volunteering, 2008
Order on National and Community Service Programs, 2/27/04.
Also see related Hot Topic and responses.
- Exploring the Serve America Act by Paula Beugen for MAVA (2009)
- Feedback Report on the Discussion Paper: Towards a National Strategy for Volunteering, from Volunteering Australia (Dec. 2008).
- …General Assembly Encourages All People To Become More Engaged In Voluntary Activities from the United Nations, 2001
- Government of the Northwest Territories Volunteer Support Initiative, 2005-2008 Plan (Australia)
- Government-Volunteer Partnerships:Background Discussion Paper, from the Volunteering Secretariat, Western Australia (2006)
- Government Policy on Volunteering (NZ, 2002)
- Lifting Someone Else: Government Encouragement of Volunteer Efforts, by
Michael Jay Friedman for eJournalUSA (May, 2006), U.S. Department of State
- Measuring Volunteering: A Practical Toolkit, by Independent Sector and UNV, designed as a toolkit to assist countries in conducting surveys assessing their national, regional, and local volunteer levels (2001, 40-pg. PDF).
- National Volunteering Strategy Consultation (Australia, 2010)
- Priorities and Prospects for a Lifelong Learning Society: Promoting Volunteer Activities by the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (1996)
- State Liability Laws for Charitable Organizations and Volunteers - Published in 2001, Updated in August 2005) - free PDF from the Nonprofit Risk Management Center
- Taxation of Benefits for Volunteers, by Denise Y. Bowen, for the Federal, State and Local Governments Newsletter of the IRS (july 2004, PDF)
- Volunteer Activity in Elections - description of volunteer work permitted or limited in federal elections (US, 2004)
- Volunteer Rights Inquiry - Interim Report - produced by Volunteering England for the Inquiry (2010).
Web sites with information on this subject
for Volunteer Involvement
Provides voluntary and not-for-profit organizations in Canada with a philosophical framework for involving volunteers at the governance, leadership and direct service levels. The Code outlines the values, principles, and standards for effective volunteer practices within organizations. It also includes the Organization Standards Checklist.
Community Builders NSW
Comprehensive information about volunteer programs and activities within New South Wales Government (Australia) agencies. Includes many practical support materials, such as “Working with People” tips.
Labor Standards Act Advisor
The US Department of Labor's explanation of the FLSA as it applies to volunteers, including employees as volunteers.
Non-formal education programme targeting young people aged between 15 and 25 years in 31 European countries. The YOUTH programme offers possibilities to young people in the form of both group exchanges and individual voluntary work, as well as support activities.
Policy and Support for Volunteers (New Zealand)
Site includes a wide range of volunteer management materials as well as government information, including studies of Maori volunteering.
South Australia's "Advancing the Community Together"
A document outlining a "Partnership between the Volunteer Sector and the South Australian Government."
Excellent summary article from by Conrad Teitell, LL.B., LL.M., provided by the Grantsmanship Center.
of Good Practice
The Volunteering Code of Good Practice sets out an agenda of undertakings for both the government and the voluntary and community sector in England. This site explains the Code. Download a PDF of the Code itself here.
Volunteering...The Australian Way
Site focused on developing a "national volunteering strategy" for Australia, with reports and opportunities to give input.
Relevant Hot Topic essays
- The Role of Volunteer Resources Managers in the Serve America Act - May '09
- "A New Era of Responsibility": An Open Letter to President Obama - Feb '09
- Volunteers Should Not Be Second-Class Taxpayers - Jul '08
- Volunteering Is Bigger than the Nonprofit Sector - Apr '08
- California Governor "Pumps Up" Volunteering- Mar '08
- Shaping Public Opinion: Volunteering, Government, and News Reports - May '04
- Making Volunteer Management Happen: A Proposal for AmeriCorps - April '04
- A Great New Report to Praise, Criticize, and Use - March '04
- Government, Politicians, and the Use of the Word "Volunteer" - February '04
For information on this topic specifically relating to the Australasian region please visit our friends at OzVPM:
Online training for individuals, organizations or corporations to work successfully with volunteers. Learn more